For checking or calibration of BE scale:
- Load all 3 Calibration Metals onto the same sample mount. Place them so they are 1 cm apart from each other.
- If the Copper or Silver are heavily oxidized, use a single edge razor blade to scrape an area clean enough to be measured.
- Load them into your main analysis chamber.
- Ion etch each sample just before you actually measure chemical state spectra from them.
- Gold needs only a little ion etching usually.
- Silver needs to be ion etched for about 1 minute using 1-2 kV Argon ions.
- Copper needs to be ion etched for about 2 minutes using 1-2 kV Argon ions